July 2, 2007

MOMOI 7/2 CONCERT

I think it went down very nicely. This was the most energetic concert out of all performances at AX, with a fan reaction even bigger than SKIN in my opinion. Props to the Japanese fan club for bringing in a big ass basket of bright pink glowsticks, and Yazaki-san (who I will soon friend on Mixi) for buying a ton of glowstick packs after AX tried to sell them, and all the American fans who didn't show a moment's hesitation in buying more glowsticks just to give away, effectively making the glow sticks "free" for everyone else. For example, oblacxz (I think), a guy sitting next to me who bought a bunch with his friend and threw them to the crowds, and actually helped me out in a pinch during concert after my first set of sticks died out. I think all of your efforts helped excite even the non-Momoists who just showed up out of curiosity, and quickly turned them into raving fans soon after they realized how damn fun these concerts are, and definitely played a part in affecting the way things eventually turned out. I was so impressed by the selflessness of so many people who were just completely focused on making Momoi happy. This is what fandom is about!

If you are one of these people I definitely hope you publicize your efforts and make sure everone knows that Momoi has the hardest fans out of any idol, because she is the fucking Queen and this title cannot be disputed.

And so...Momoi cried again. According to her blog, she loved it. I liked how she basically had maybe 2 or 3 rows of real fans in the beginning, and all of us were so nervous that Momoi would be disappointed in us for the low turnout, yet by the end the place was packed and pretty much everyone turned into a Momoist. There was much shouting and glowstick waving, and at the end, I was so happy to see that autograph line stretched very far when walking out.

No pics of this particular concert will be posted since I did not bring a camera, but if our picture shows up on Momoi's site any time soon, I will repost that.

Details of the concert itself will be updated later. I just wanted to provide a quick update in case anyone was worried about today.

And thanks to anyone who wasn't too shy to join us in our "practice cheering" today while on line.

Edit 2: Heading out to the Closing Ceremony to cheer Momoi one last time. I want even the most seasoned event planners who think they know "extreme fandom" to look at Momoi fans and think..."What the fuck? These people are crazy." Because only Momoi is good enough to get that kind of fanaticism.

Edit 3: Just returned from closing ceremony. Another successful round of cheering Momoi was had. In a totally unexpected turn of events, Momoi was wearing Mandichan's special t-shirt that she gave her at the panel and got called out with personal recognition. It was an intensely cool moment. After that we pretty much went crazy cheering. And while we recorded her, she recorded us! Honestly there has been a lot of recording all around, so it will be weird to see what will eventually wind up on the net. There might even be a shot of the US fans in a DVD extra (Oh how I hope).

Posted by Paranda at July 2, 2007 7:39 PM

Comments

nicenice, this sounds great! ^_^

i hope there will be enough fans and supporters at the connichi in germany in about ... 67 days! XD oh my god, this is still so far away!
i will try my best to mobilize as much people as i can, but i dont't know many momoi fans over here >_>#

hmm, her blog seems to be full of news at the moment... i wish i could read japanese! XD *sob*

please tell us some more about the concert and "the aftershow" time! think that would be interesting (and maybe a good preparation for her connichi concerts ;)).

oh, does halko speaks english to her fans or does she have translator by her side? ^_^

Posted by: yokohama at July 2, 2007 8:15 PM

Momoi gets better with every concert! No translator was provided, but I don't think that was necessary. She's a great communicator and really what she was communicating were her feelings.

Message received!

I'm also happy that so many people eventually showed up and participated in the concert. Just listening to her music is great fun, but being able to be a part of the performance was an experience I'll never forget.

Posted by: Marty Pfeiffer at July 2, 2007 9:48 PM

and that is what it's all about.

Posted by: omo at July 2, 2007 11:00 PM

I am very happy for Momoi and everyone who is expressing their supportive thoughts. Thank you for posting the update. Arigato gozaimashita!

Posted by: Audrey at July 3, 2007 2:59 AM

I was there at the momoi concert and it was a blast, in fact I felt that it was really the best concert i went to at AX07, I can't vouch for Oreskaband's and SKIN's reaction, but seeing momoi on the stage crying was just sad. At least we were able to leave nice notes in her notebook. ;D

Posted by: kozu at July 3, 2007 4:28 AM

The Momoi concert was hands down the best one I attended at AX and has made this year's AX my most memorable. Although I walked in late, I was suprised at how many people had glowsticks. I give mad props to those who mobilized to get them.

If there's ever a future get together of all the Momoi fans at a con, i'd love to meet all of you who share the same feelings for her and her music.

Thanks for making this an awesome con for me.

Posted by: Okita Souji at July 3, 2007 7:13 AM

Halko Momoi's concert was definitely the highlight of AX2007 for me. Before the concert, I've only heard 2 of her songs and her work as San in Seto no Hanayome.

Despite this, I was still able jump around and just have fun. The way she involves the crowd and connects with us is amazing.

I am grateful to those hardcore fans that handed out the call books while waiting in line, and for all the glowsticks. Surely, you helped contribute to the success of the concert.

I am most especially grateful to Momoi for remembering her fans, and not letting the mistreatment from the AX people stop her from sharing her music.

Thank you, Halko Momoi!

Posted by: merlin at July 3, 2007 11:34 AM

Hi Paranda!

It was so cool hanging out with you guys during the concert! At first, my friend and I were worried that we would be the only ones who would jump up / down and rock out during the concert because we thought that only "casual" fans would be at the concert (unlike the fans in Japan, from what I've seen in the Under17 concert dvds). But seeing / learning the Call warm-ups reassured me that I'm in the right place.

I just wish I had more money to buy a whole box of those glowstix, but I spent a huge chunk of my money buying all of the Momoi-chan merchandise the day before. Oh well, judging from how we lit up the Arena, it looked like we had enough glowstix to make Momoi-chan happy.

And you know, the posts from people like merlin, okita soju, and kozu really made me smile. It's always kick-ass to hear about how the concert turned out to be the most memorable highlight of someone's expo experience. And that's in spite of the show being on the 4th day. I've been to shows by The Pillows, Puffy AmiYumi, Maaya Sakamoto, ORESKABAND, SOS Brigade, and they were all high-energy. But there is no doubt in my mind that none of them came close to the energy that I felt from Momoi-chan and all the fans. I mean, wow, I was drenched in sweat all the way down to my shoes from that concert. From day 1, she never forgot who she was doing this for, and we never forget why we are such hardcore Momoists. And I second that, kozu, I am so down to hang out with fellow Momoists at a con.

And thank you Paranda, for all the updates on Momoi-chan. I got word of the rumor of her being a GOH from you and Pantsgoblin, and I barely contained my excitement since then. And when it became official, my head just exploded!! Thank you so much and keep up the good work!! Keep in touch!

Posted by: ObLaCxZ at July 3, 2007 2:23 PM

Thanks for the updates!!

Would someone mind telling me which songs were performed at the concert?

Posted by: Yume at July 3, 2007 5:23 PM

I don't remember the order off the top of my head but she did perform Mebius Ring, Hide and Seek, LOVE.EXE, Akihabara Love, and Tenbatsu Angel Rabbie. Those are the only ones I can recall right now. I also came in a bit late so I missed the first song.

Posted by: Okita Souji at July 3, 2007 6:31 PM

Btw, I forgot ask this in my previous post, but is there a forum or website for Momoi fans outside of Japan? I know of the mixi community (I just joined) but my communication skills in Japanese are lacking.

Posted by: Okita Souji at July 3, 2007 7:14 PM

I believe the first song was Gura Gura.

I'd also like to thank the Japanese fans that were there for giving me one of those big, pink glowsticks before they started selling them. Truth be told, the AX guy that brought the glowsticks in just handed me 2 sticks for free (I had 2 sticks already), before he started selling them, so that was cool (I was in the corner in section A). I was happy when I saw them (regardless if they were for sale), because that meant the crowd would have glowsticks. The guy next to me had glowsticks already, but it didn't stop him from buying a couple of sets for some of the people around us.

Posted by: Tenton at July 3, 2007 7:54 PM

I really had fun at the Halko Momoi concert at the AX 2007. I hadn't heard of Momoi before Anime Expo but was curious about her after her Opening Cermonies introduction. I'm not a "participater", I don't open a lot of emotions in front of a large group of people I don't know but I lost in the moment of waving my glow-stick thanks to listening to this wonderful, talented, and beautiful seiyuu. I hope that Momoi will forgive the AX/Long Beach Convention staff. Admittedly, the AX Staff who handled her merchandising were helpful and friendly but most of their counterparts need to go back and be trained better or find another convention to spoil and leave this one alone. Props to the guys who were giving out free glow sticks. I have been seeing these acts of kindness from other anime fans steadily from con to con. It didn't used to be that way...I believe I should know because from experience (my 11th straight AX). Anyway, this was a wonderful show and it was the to me, the only real shining star outside of the half-time show of the AX Masquerade. I will try to make to AX 2008 but I hope to have a better time :).

Posted by: Glenn Turner, Jr. at July 3, 2007 8:25 PM

First of all, I just got back to my home in Mexico. The two concerts were great and I'll post later the order of both concerts. On another note, AX merchandise staff did gave away a lot of glowsticks at the end. Because they saw us fans giving them out, and thought "hey, they can't be niecer than us".

Also for us lucky guys that were at the end of the line to sign her book, we got filmed by his manager sending her a message ^^ And got also a lot of free poster (they didn't knew what to do with them, so I took home about 4 full sets).

It's a shame all the things that happened at AX, it was very poor handled this year. We actually saw today Minorin and Yuko Goto on the lobby at the Hyatt, they were really pissed off, because it seems they didn't had a room for today (thursday). It was the same for Tetsuro Arakai (Death Note director).

Posted by: Cat Clan at July 4, 2007 12:05 AM

Cat Clan,

I dunno what AX is gonna do to make up for all their mistakes this year. They seem to have dug themselves a deep hole.

Anyways, going back to Momoi, has anyone signed her blog? A lot of American fans have been posting. So far the post count has reached 90. I'd be cool if it broke 100.

Posted by: Okita Souji at July 4, 2007 2:08 AM

What two songs did Manzo sing?

Posted by: Anonymous at July 4, 2007 2:46 AM

I'm sorry, but this blog is pathetic. The way you people fawn over some Japanese singer is absurd and the comment about America needing an "animephile liberation" literally made me laugh out loud.

I don't know what's worse: the fact that most of you are adult males (e.g. not part of the demographic a singer like her is aiming towards), the fact that you people take PRIDE in being nerdy and being considered an "otaku", or the fact that you are the type of people that insert random Japanese into your sentences.

Do you think this woman actually cares about you people?

Get a life! Drop the crappy JPop CDs and anime, dust your cheeto-stained fingers off and go outside!

Posted by: Fartnog Buttstinkle at July 4, 2007 4:43 AM

Singers have fans? Why that's crazy! Boy I sure hate people who like things.

Posted by: Paranda at July 4, 2007 12:26 PM

(e.g. not part of the demographic a singer like her is aiming towards), the fact that you people take PRIDE in being nerdy and being considered an "otaku" - Mr. Buttstinkle

Did you know that Halko refers to herself as an otaku as well? Also, you're troll aura is weak. Try harder next time.

As for the concert, I loved it. Nothing can make me happier than making Halko happy. I wrote about it in my LJ. I plan to make another post going into more about the panel though...

Posted by: PantsGoblin at July 4, 2007 2:39 PM

>Do you mean Tuesday not Thursday? That sucks that they didn't have a room. Werre you able to talk to them?

Yeah, sorry my bad. I meant Tuesday he he. No I couldn't talk to them (they seem really pissed and I didn't wanted to disturb them more). They got their room before we leaved actually, I saw the manager of GoH delivering their new keys.

On a side note, I really enjoyed AX in the way that is the only way for me to see this kind of concerts. I live in Mexico, so no one basically comes down here. (Well he had Kageyama a few months ago, but that's it).

And like almost anyone who has posted, I really loved Momoi's concert. I went to all the concerts, included the not well known Savage Genius one. And Momoi's was the best, and having Manzo with her was a big plus for me. I love My Pace Daioh. On the other hand I don't know why I was so surprised by Manzo apperance, he has been on other Momoi's concerts.

Posted by: Cat Clan at July 4, 2007 4:31 PM

The concert was increadible! Almost cried again lol - just thinking back and trying to put into words the way she electrifies the Audience is almost overwhelming.

We were in the centre, second row for the concert and wow, just wow. I so wanted to jump the seats into the front row with the Japanese fans so I could do the full jumping spin thing.

Was also at the front for the auction and was directly infront of her at the closing ceremony - I mean literally opposite her. O.O wow just wow. Best seat was best!

Posted by: Mr Trainspotting at July 5, 2007 6:06 AM

Shit! I missed the auction! Did she sell anything?

Posted by: Paranda at July 5, 2007 12:45 PM

I was at the auction. From what I remember, here's what they had:

-autographed Momoi CD (not sure which album): sold for $200

-autographed Momoi T-shirt (the brown one that was sold at the merchandise booth): sold for $200, I think.

-autographed AX T-shirt with Momoi-chan's signature on it: sold for $165. My friend actually won the bid on this shirt (he was the one sitting next to me at the concert, Paranda). And now he's bankrupt =)...Ah, anything for Momoi, ne?

There were also a couple of AX posters that had Momoi-chan's signature as well as the signatures of the other GOHs. Those sold for about $300+, I think.

I bidded up to $100, and would've taken up a loan, for those items, but alas, other people had more money than me.

ObLaCxZ
yate_han@yahoo.com

Posted by: ObLaCxZ at July 5, 2007 2:06 PM

InsaneLampshade got the DVD (it seems to be special), I got the tour concert T-Shirt - both went for $200.

I'd of got yhe second T-shirt if I'd known how much money I had however the ATMs in america didn't show my balance ¬.¬ I also thought "hmmm it'd be a bit mean if I got both t-shirts"

Posted by: Mr Trainspotting at July 5, 2007 2:47 PM

Actually InsaneLampshade's DVD did say Special DVD on the cover of it. I bid too on the items, but they were a bit out of my range; being Mexican sure didn't help.

Posted by: Cat Clan at July 5, 2007 3:25 PM

Wow, I should have been there :(

Well now I know what I must do for the next event.

Posted by: Paranda at July 5, 2007 7:02 PM

Yeah, it seems to be a special unreleased DVD, it's got a PV for Yume no Baton on it, and extended footage from one of the promotional events that was on the bonus section of the Haruko Up-Date DVD's.

Posted by: InsaneLampshade at July 5, 2007 7:11 PM

Now that I've seen the photo, I think that was the Haruko Update preview disc sold at Comiket last year.

Update: No, I'm wrong. That's the special promotion prize disc you got if you preordered all the Haruko Update DVDs and Best CD, and mailed in all your proof of purchases to Avex.

Posted by: Paranda at July 5, 2007 7:31 PM

Well, I would have gone as high as half a grand for those (and yes, I have the money). I'm not sure how high others would have gone... Maybe it was a good thing other fans weren't there, we'd all be bankrupt...

Posted by: PantsGoblin at July 5, 2007 7:42 PM